Thursday, November 29, 2007

Where did the day go?

As I was lounging on the ocean side restaurant deck, my stomach started to wrench. I walked briskly back to the bungalow & regurgitated breakfast. All I had was a banana shake & an egg - I'm not sure what caused the sickness. I laid around for a couple of hours in the hammock, willing my stomach to feel better. Around lunch, I willed myself to go eat a bit of food.


We ran into our Irish, UK, and Australian friends again at the restaurant. They had a late night - they returned to their rooms around 7am. We sat underneath palm trees on the beach for the remainder of the afternoon, talking about the US military - David was enthralled with James being a Marine. His only exposure having been through movies, David wanted to know if Hollywood's portrayal was correct. We moved about 20 meters to the restaurant for dinner, where we sat & drank for the remainder of the evening.


After dinner, a few beers, and a bottle of whiskey we turned in for the night. I would have normally been pissed at myself for wasting the day away, but I was enjoying not doing anything. I started to understand why all of my friends, colleagues, and family go to Mexico or the Caribbean for holidays. Being lazy feels great. Besides - when I would be trekking in the mountains for a week in Laos I could look back on Thailand with sweet memories of being slothful.

No comments: