Saturday, December 22, 2007

12 Hours in Bangkok

After traveling all morning, we arrived in Bangkok in the early afternoon. I left all of my heavily laden bags at the airport - I've never enjoyed the freedom of not having a bag more than today. I was carrying all of the sandstone in my daypack & bamboo bag. There was no longer room for my SLR in my daypack, so it was now strung around my neck. Ten minutes later, it was securely stored at Suvanabumi airport luggage storage.


It was nice to be back to a modern city, but at the same time all of the crowds were definitely not as serene as Laos or Cambodia. James got a room (since he was leaving a day later than me), and then we had lunch. Afterwards, we walked to the tailor to pick up the clothes that I had ordered 4 weeks earlier. We did a bit more shopping ('what the hell am I doing! My bags are already overstuffed!' I thought), had dinner, and went to a bar. However, it was the day before elections so no alcohol could be sold anywhere. Bangkok without alcohol...it was ironic. I can't imagine if the US tried to impose a similar regulation in Las Vegas...


I headed back to Take a Nap hostel to say hello to Air. I hung out there until almost 11:30, when I needed to grab a taxi back to the airport. My flights back to Seoul & Chicago were wonderfully uneventful, and the flight from Seoul --> Chicago had personal entertainment units in each economy seat! I had a Bloody Mary, watched a couple of movies, and drifted off to an Ambien sleep. I was looking forward to being home for Christmas, but I had strong hestitations about returning to the snow & ice.

No comments: