Friday, December 14, 2007

Nam Ha Protected Area - Day 7

The next morning was a slow one, for obvious alcohol-induced reasons. Pon had a bad hangover, and our hosts were also stirring about a bit slowly. We left camp late - sometime around 10am, but we weren't worried because today was a short and easy day of hiking. We followed the Nam Ha river all day long, so we had the relaxing sound of running water beside us all day.

We had a quick lunch before setting across the Nam Ha on a bamboo raft. Once we reached the other side, we had about another 1.5 hours until we reached a village where a tuk tuk would be waiting for us. Today was fairly uneventful; I think that all of us were tired from all of the trekking and sleeping in huts, so we weren't that talkative. It wasn't easy to find new topics to discuss, since we had been spending every waking moment with one another. I had a quick thought of how nice home would be when I got back...solitude, music, and hot water.


It took us about an hour to get back to Luang Nam Tha. I asked Pon to drop us off at the Boat Landing so that we could take a shower, before we came to the office to fill out a feedback form. The solar-heated water was wonderfully hot - I felt 100% clean for the first time in a week. We headed to Green Discovery to fill out the surveys, and then walked around town for a while. The town is extremely small and relatively quiet. We found a place to eat Western food (Banana Cafe), as James was getting really sick of rice. He had a chicken sandwich and I had some fried rice, which I hadn't eaten in over a week. Afterwards, we wandered into the night market (still really small and really cool - the locals outnumbered the 25 tourists). We went out for a beer to pass some time, and by the time we finished and tried to find a tuk tuk back to the Boat Landing, then town had basically shutdown. I looked at my watch - 8pm. Green Discovery found a driver for us, but we paid the extortionate rate of $5US to get back to the Boat Landing. Although the Boat Landing is a great guest house, I'm not sure if I'd stay there in the future since it's so far from the center of the new town.

However, I was looking forward to the ultra-comfortableness of a normal bed...

No comments: